Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't like holiday's.  I just don't like them. I'm sure this makes me a bad blogger - I should be sharing all sorts of Halloween crafts and posting about how great our Halloween night was.  But I just can't bring myself to do it!  
My husband and I have NEVER celebrated any holiday but Thanksgiving, which is the only holiday we both really look forward to every year.  This is actually one of the reasons I knew we were meant for each other #1 we have the same birthday (5 years apart), and #2 we both think Thanksgiving is the most fabulous and most under-appreciated holiday of all time.  When Miss Kellie joined our anti-holiday family, I knew we were at least going to have to start celebrating Christmas. I mean I'm not anti-holiday enough to deny Miss Kellie of Santa and Christmas morning, that's just plain mean!

So this year I tried to get Miss Kellie excited about Halloween.  We picked out the costume, got excited about the candy and said she was looking forward going to the houses.  And I totally believed her - last year she went with her cousins and really had a lot of fun.  

This year was different.  


We started out on Friday at the Halloween party taking place at my husbands office. 
This did not go well.
There were kids and adults in costume everywhere, strike one.
It was dark with spooky music playing, strike two.
She had to independently approach people to grab a piece of candy, strike three.
We were out - of there! 

Saturday we went to a trunk-or-treat - easy right?  You just walk around to the different cars and grab some candy.  
Not for Miss Kellie.
She hated it, she didn't want people to look at her (even though she looked super cute), she didn't want to talk to anyone, and she didn't want me to take any pictures of her! :(  Not a scrapbook mama's finest hour.

So, when I asked her if she wanted to try one more time and go trick-or-treating tonight and she said 'No!', I must admit I was a little more than happy to agree.  
Maybe the distaste for all the over sensationalized holiday crap is genetic??

She did, however, still want to wear her costume tonight while she played with stickers.


Maybe she'll even help me give out a treat or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment